Applying for ECOSOC Consultative Status
Consultative status with ECOSOC provides an excellent opportunity for both NGOs and the United Nations to work closely towards a common global agenda. NGOs in consultative status are encouraged to participate in the ECOSOC activities and to cooperate with the United Nations┐ bodies by attending meetings, conferences, or contributing with active participation.
This Learning Module describes the process of applying for ECOSOC Consultative Status, as well provides clear set of instructions on how to pursue and initiate such a process.
Posted on 8 Mar 2010 by: NGO Branch [ UN ENTITY ]
Page 1What are the requirements to determine eligibility for consultative status with ECOSOC? There are several requirements for NGOs which are reviewed to determine eligibility for consultative status with ECOSOC. Those requirements are:
- The work of the NGO must be relevant to the work of ECOSOC
- The NGO must have a transparent and democratic decision-making mechanism and a democratically adopted constitution
- The NGO must have an established headquarters, with an executive officer
- It must have been in existence and officially registered for at least 2 years in order to apply
- The NGO should have the authority to speak for its members
- The NGO should have a representative structure
- The NGO must have appropriate mechanisms for accountability
- Any financial contribution or other support, direct or indirect, must be openly declared to the Committee.
- Completing the Registration Profile of your organization
- Submitting the online application which includes the questionnaire, the summary, and all the supporting documentation
- Initial screening of your application by the NGO Branch to ensure your application is complete
- Reviewing you application by the ECOSOC Committee on NGOs at its regular session in January or at its resumed session in May every year
- Recommendation by the Committee
- Final decision taken ECOSOC in July every year.
To apply for ECOSOC Consultative status, please, go to the NGO Branch web-site at: http://esango.un.org/paperless/Web?page=static&content=apply and click ┐Applying for Status┐.
Please sign in to add a Comment
Suggest Related Content to this page