Projects of IAPSRS in Social Development
Imam Ali NGOĺs targets for social development are divided in two major parts:
1. Empowerment and fundamental visions
2. Urgent aids for elimination of the recent effects of poverty like malnutrition, diseases and shelter.
Although we believe that short term projects will not eradicate poverty, we should provide people with some essential needs.
1. IAPSRS provides free food delivery through slums and deprived area of poor provinces of Iran; Such as Baluchistan, Kurdistan and Kerman provinces and so forth.
2. Many medical cases and diseases are referred to IAPSRS over the whole country and the NGO contributes in their cure, providing medicine, needed medical expenses, facilities, transportation services to hospitals, and so forth. After recovery, the most important contribution is in preparing bone marrow samples for cancerous children and children with other special diseases.
3. In special periods like the time of beginning schools IAPSRS provides around 3000 children with clothes and stationary. The aids are given no matter what their gender, ethnicity and nationality are.
4. IAPSRS also has projects to support talented poor children who are at the risk of abandoning and missing school.
In long-term projects IAPSRS has focused on empowerment through making cultural changes. One of the most important projects in the country is the project of expanding ôIranian Homesö, which are relief centers established in poor areas. Education is the main core of these centers. Education is provided for out-of-school children and children who are at risk to leave studying. The root of these risks is social issues like violation, addiction, committing crimes, laboring children and other effects of poverty. In fact the Iranian House connects different social classes of the society, where the upper and middle class unify to revive the human rights. The Imam Ali NGO tries to diminish the classification view of social classes and tries to develop an equal view without any discrimination in the society. Reconstructing of the social responsibility occurs in the Iranian houses by which each volunteer who is a member of the society becomes responsible for making a solution to social issues. This solution is defined in several levels; including individual, community-based intervention and rising awareness by representing the talent flourishing of the children and women in art and sports and also conducting meetings and seminars on social issues. By this way the Iranian house promotes the society's capacity to organize resources to meet challenges and opportunities and helps each member of the society to be an actor for the advocacy.
Imam Aliĺs Popular Students Relief Society Iranian Homes Project includes:
1. High quality educational services: as IAPSRS has Afghan children under its support and there would be cultural obstacles for attendance of girls in schools, many social workers spend a lot of time to convince families and get permissions for daughtersĺ attendance.
Many children obliged to work who are bread winners of their families are under IAPSRS support; the NGO tries to facilitate their education. IAPSRS has been succeeded to stop child labor in some areas. The educational schedule is such a flexible one for those kinds of child labor who can attend classes.
2. Programs to combat Malnutrition: in all of IAPSRS centers, free warm food is provided at leas once a day for all children who attend the classes. Also nutrition specialists diagnose malnutrition cases and prescribe supplements; in the case of girls it is much more important to follow their malnutrition problems, especially iron deficiency and lack of other minerals.
3. The arts and sports activities: In ôIranian Homesö sports and the arts are used as rehabilitation tools to bring cheerfulness and psychological health for children and help them adopt with their situation, learn how to solve problems and get more hope. Many arts groups are consisted from child labor in the field of theatre, music and so on. Sometimes they can make money from their arts works supported by IAPSRS.
In the field of sports, many teams are active, including: Soccer, Volleyball, Karate, Cricket, Rugby, Dart, Swimming, Chess and so on. Football matches for boys have an annual league. Rugby and archery teams of girls are so successful and have gained different athletic cups.
4. Hygiene and Health: all the women and children under protection have hygiene documents and periodic visits with volunteer participation of physicians and dentists.
4.1. The important medical cases are referred to hospitals. Many doctors, physicians, dentists and surgeons have been attracted to medical activities of the NGO and concentrate voluntarily in medical services.
4.2. Special project is implemented for pregnant women in two cases: first is for addicted women and second is for deprived women (refugees, pregnancy of girls, malnutrition during pregnancy and so on). For both of them sufficient food and supplements are given. For the first group, protection of fetus from danger of drugs which mother consumes is the priority. If mother continues to use drugs, dried milk is provided to newborn -infants to prevent them from the side-effects of breastfeeding. The vaccination is also followed.
4.3. IAPSRS also has a special medical center for giving free treatment services for child labor and poor women. More than 750 children have received medical and dentistry services in this center in year 2015.
4.4. A part of under coverage families are Afghan and most of them have no ID card or residency card, so most of the children had not been vaccinated. The vaccination for children under protection is screened and followed.
4.5. Visual and auditory screening: this is done at all our centers all over the country, periodically.
5. Psychological and social work: all children and attendees enjoy periodic visits and their documents are updated monthly.
6. Entrepreneurship: Addiction is epidemic in poor areas of the country. Women with addicted husbands live at home or abandoned home, have the same vulnerable family structure in these areas; a woman is responsible for the economy of the family as much as taking care of her children without any support. In addition, most of them suffer from problems like depression, disappointment and lack of self-esteem.
6.1. Entrepreneurship for mothers, in many cases prevents child labor. These jobs must have special characteristics to cover all special needs of the family. So, in Iranian houses especial kinds of entrepreneurship by the reason of therapy are launched. 6.2. The entrepreneurship opportunities and work place also consist of psychological consultancy, learning alphabet, mathematics, life skills and many more skills together for women. These training are accounted in their working hours. We have more than 500 women who have participaed in this program in the last two years.