Meetings and Events of ECOSOC and its Subsidiary Bodies
Panel discussion on: Opportunities for Small Island Developing States (SIDS)ECOSOC Chamber, Temporary North Lawn Building (TNLB) at the United Nations
20 July, 2010
11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
Objectives of the panel discussion:
The panel discussion will;
- Identify areas of potential opportunities in SIDS;
- Describe specific examples of measures undertaken in different countries to explore such opportunities; and
- Make proposals as to how such opportunities may be further developed.
Themes for the panel discussion:
To meet the above objectives, the panel discussion will address the following opportunities related to;
- The Agricultural sector, for example, the emergence of new crops;
- The Energy sector, for example, tapping new energy sources such as wind, solar and geothermal energy; and
- The Services sector, for example new types of tourism packages, as well as finance.
The first sub-topic will focus on the opportunities in research and development related to the emergence of new crops due to the changes to the ecosystem, caused for example, by climate change. The sub-topic may also explore initiatives in developing extreme weather-resistant crops and livestock. The second sub-topic will explore opportunities for developing technology to reduce harmful emissions as well as to improve energy efficiency and energy security. The third sub-topic will concentrate on initiatives that help SIDS develop comparative advantages in the services sector. The panel may also discuss cross-cutting issues such as the role of technology and human resource development.
The panel presentations will be followed by an interactive debate among the panelists and delegates.
Professor Anthony Clayton, Institute for Sustainable Development, University of the West Indies
Dr. Vasantha Chase, Chase Consulting Ltd.
Mr. Pierre Encontre, Special Programmes Division for Africa, Least Developed Countries and Special Programmes, UNCTAD
|Date||20 July, 2010|
|Time||11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
|Location||ECOSOC Chamber, Temporary North Lawn Building (TNLB) at the United Nations|