||Dr. William Potter established the Center in 1989 with a handful of Institute students. Today, CNS has a full-time staff of more than 40 specialists and over 25 graduate student research assistants located in offices in Monterey, Washington, DC, and Vienna, Austria.
CNS is organized into five research programs:
- Chemical and Biological Weapons Nonproliferation Program
- East Asia Nonproliferation Program
- International Organization and Nonproliferation Program
- Eurasia Nonproliferation Program
- Nonproliferation Education Program
Each program supports the Center's mission by training graduate students, building a worldwide community of nonproliferation experts, publishing both on-line and print resources on all aspects of WMD, providing background material to the media, and creating seminars and on-line tutorials to be used by high school and college instructors and the general public.
CNS is affiliated with the Monterey Institute of International Studies, which in turn is a graduate school of Middlebury College.